Sunday, February 3, 2013

Reflection #3

When I saw that this weeks blog could be over anything of my choice I immediately decided to discuss The Law of Transformation chapter from Chopra's novel.  Honestly it is rare that I come across something so moving and inspiring when I am reading for a class.  I didn't want to stop reading this chapter once I started.  I was stopping in the middle of a paragraph telling my roommate to "listen to this sentence" because I thought it was so cool. I really enjoyed how this article dissected the superhero to the very root of his being, his inner self and perceptions.  One of the opening sentences states "Not only do they see their own past experiences; they also see the future. And not only do they see their own personal past and future; they see yours and mine...." This is some deep stuff that Chopra is bringing to the table.  Another student talked about these two sentences in her blog and stated that it was impossible for superheroes to see her future etc. I may be wrong but I feel that maybe she is taking these sentences too literally. I think that Chopra is generally saying that when superheroes look in the mirror, they see that the fate and safety of humanity is in their hands.  When a villain comes to destroy Earth and all who live on it, superheroes are the ones who have the responsibility to take care of us and make sure that we have a future on this planet.   Maybe Chopra is looking too deep. Maybe superheroes were created simply for entertainment.  But if someone could take apart the superhero and make their existence, morals, identity, self, interaction with the universe, etc sound so beautiful and worthy of this amount of attention, then I say rock on because I was truely moved by this chapter. 

A few sentences that inspired me while reading this chapter: "Our actions and beliefs are limited by our perspective".  "The way in which we perceive the world shapes the way in which we interact with it, the choices we make, and ultimately what we define as real." Chopra puts it into perspective for me.  I shape my point of view, my point of view is my perception, my perception shapes how I view the world, therefore becoming my reality. If I have the perception that I cannot do something, then I will not be able to do it. Point blank period.  I've attempting to do the crazy workout DVD Insanity numerous times but have failed after attempting it for a few days. Each and everytime I have failed it's because I have told myself that it is too hard and that I can't do it. Well obviously I can't do it if I keep telling myself that I can't. I need to be mindful that I am in control of my perception which ultimately defines my reality.  If I steer my perception in a way that allows me to know that I can do something then I will be able to do that something. 

3 comments:

  1. Lynn, I agree that the sentences were probably taken too literally. A superheroes job is to save and protect humanity. This includes you and I. I also believe that we can learn from the mistakes that the superheroes makes. Also, in today;s society, a lot of people choose not to have an open-mind, which often limits what they can do. When you stated that your perception becomes your reality, that struck me a little bit. It is completely true, and I had never thought of it that way! You can complete Insanity! I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LYNN!!!!! lol I enjoyed reading this post, I feel how you mentioned what Chopra said about perception. "The way in which we perceive the world shapes the way in which we interact with it, the choices we make, and ultimately what we define as real." This is so true perception is everything from the way we perceive ourselves as well as others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn I definitely took the Chopra article to literally with the superheroes being able to see our past and futures. Literally it doesn't seem very likely that they could do that, but how you explained it I do agree with. A second opinion on a topic is always good to have.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete